Children ages 4 and older may be recommended for the Gifted and Talented Program either by parents or teachers. Those children selected are put on an individualized program designed and implemented with the cooperation of the teacher, the parents, the Gifted & Talented Teacher, and the Head of School. Every class offers continual challenges to the bright child as well.
Karnes’ Talent Checklist, the Slosson Intelligence Test, and the Naglieri Nonverbal Ability Test are among the selection tools used.
- To help children to be aware of their special talents and to use them in a positive manner
- To enhance social relationships and peer interaction among gifted children
- To encourage the use of problem-solving and creative thinking skills
- To give the opportunity for free expression of unique ideas
- To assist gifted children in becoming self-directed and using time productively